|∞ BCE to 1 BCE | Year 0 | 1 CE - 100 CE | 101 - 200 | 201 - 300 | 301 - 400 | 401 - 500 | 501 - 600 | 601 - 700 | 701 - 800 | 801 - 900 | 901 - 1000 | 1001 - 1100 | 1101 - 1200 | 1201 - 1300 | 1301 - 1400 | 1401 - 1500 | 1501 - 1600 | 1601 - 1700 | 1701 - 1800 | 1801 - 1900 |20th century: | 1901 - 1910 | 1911 - 1920 | 1921 - 1930 (Roaring Twenties) | 1931 - 1940 | 1941 - 1950 | 1951 - 1960 | 1961 - 1970 | 1971 - 1980 | 1981 - 1990 | 1991 - 2000 | 21st century: | 2001 - 2010 (The Aughts) | 2011 - 2020 (Cellphone Decade) | End of Time|
This page is a member of the Uncyclopedia Timeline. If an event isn't listed in the timeline, it most likely happened.
Represented here are the time periods from the beginning of time to the end of time.
This is the main page for the Uncyclopedia Timeline Project.
This project was started to solve a number of problems:
- Get rid of lots of tiny date related stubs.
- Draw connections between different time periods.
- Get rid of "red links" when someone randomly links to a year.
- Create a continuity of time in uncyclopedia.
2018 comments from Nigel Scribbler
- Jeez Louise, someone actually thought there was a year zero. Celebrated the New Millenium with the other dingdongs in 2000, didja? And paid thousands to go to Puma Punka to watch the sunrise over the arch monument on Jan 1 only to find they moved the arch so the sun doesn't rise over it, if it ever did? Year zero is left on template as a joke. On you.
- Since the timeline is essentially the template you see above, let it be just a navigation style template. While anarchy is good for the soul, some kind of organization here and there is useful. Kinda.
- As such, the plan is to break the timeline into century chunks based on century articles. Current era will probably remain in decades, though you're gonna have to prove to me that there are lots of links to the decade.
- Be aware that the most common repository of year dates are the anniversaries lists that appear on the front page. If you wish to bluelink more years to century or decade pages, go right ahead. Again, there are many years without redirects, so use the century or decade as a link.
- Wickedpedia doesn't use BC/AD anymore, but BCE/CE. We should follow. CE probably needs only be used when the number is low and can be mistaken for just the number. But knowing editors, they'll stick it on anything they like including dogs and stop signs. Just leave my lunch alone. 2019 EDIT : the frikkin idiots have changed it back. I'm not going to. Use whichever system you like, just keep it consistent within an article.
- And no, the dates don't HAVE to correlate to real events nor is there canon throughout the site for the same exact event happening the same way in each citation. If you believe this to be necessary, go ask your Mom: "When you said I was funny, exactly what did you mean?"
How to help
The timeline is very much still under construction and needs help:
We don't want the category pages left as articles. Also, as ever, any other century or decade article can always be edited.
This is the most tedious part of the timeline project, but also one of the most important. We need year numbers to redirect to the appropriate timeline article. For example, the year 1066 redirects to 11th century because that article currently covers years 1001 to 1100. If a number doesn't currently have an article, all you have to do is edit it and add #redirect [[x]], replacing x with whichever year you are redirecting to. But see 2019 comment below.
2018 comment. The timeline is getting messy and it looks like few people are hot to develop articles for individual years much less centuries. The thought then is to make the divisions by century, with the 20th and 21st centuries broken into decades. It is also thought to be better to use a real calendar, i.e., 1st century is 1 CE to 100, 2nd century is 101 to 200, etc. If something is described as being in the 1920s (like categories), best fit is to connect it to the 1921-1930 decade.
Still needs rebuilding. If/when century articles are added, then links and redirects need to be changed. The "On This Day/Anniversaries" still need this done in some cases.
2019 comment Since most readers skipped their history classes, don't bother making huge lists of years to redirect to century articles anymore. Just create a bluelink to the century article. For decade articles, please do link year dates as a redirect to the appropriate decade article.
Adding years to the timeline
If you come across a year related article that is not in the timeline, you can add it to the timeline.
There are a number of different ways to add years to the timeline and which you should use is dependant on the size of the year you're adding and the size of the segment you're adding it to.
If the year is small and the segment is not too large, simply edit the segment to add everything from the year article and then turn the article into a redirect.
2018 comment. Methinks it is better to keep to keep year articles independent of the Timeline template. See also the entry to connect it to a timeline era.
I only see the timeline as a navigation aid, so adding individual years will make thing messier than they are now. Vanity is big here, but curb your dog. If you do a year article, then link it to the appropriate century or decade article.
Sporking the timeline
2018 comment. Navigation trumps all in my warped view. The centuries/decades breaks described above should handle a manageable number of timeline breaks.
Note how there's really no article here? Does this tell you how significant the timeline is except as a navigational template? I suggest sticking to century divisions and keeping the decade divisions for the 20th century and later. Those articles when created then become the collecting points for related articles (of which seem to be few and far between after lo these many years) under a "See also" header. Sound good? Waddayamean "no"?
Cleaning up segments
Since most of the effort so far is going into dealing with the technical aspects of the timeline, the individual segments are a little messy and could definitely go with some rewriting. If you're not interested in doing the tedious work necessary for the technical aspects of the timeline, feel free to work on improving individual segments.
2018 comment. I am slowly slogging through adding century and decade articles. I might finish before the end of the universe. Stay tuned and watch the timeline divisions slowly change. Feel free to jump in and do a decade or century article; there are 20th century decade articles that are just links to a category page. That should not be so.
Improving the templates
2019 comment 4 different styles of decorative elements have been added with different ones used for different time periods. If you ever change anything, don't get too fancy and overwhelm the articles they are on.
A unified style
Since we're trying to create a unified timeline, it would be nice if the whole thing had a unified style to it. To this end, if would be great if we could get all of the segments cleaned up to look fairly similar, I recommend something like this:
=YEAR= brief description of the year ==SOME OTHER HEADER== some other information about the year, if it's appropriate etc. etc. etc. ==Events== * list * of * events * that * happened
2018 comment. A perhaps useful plan above in theory but it certainly does not reflect the chaos that is Uncyclopedia. You will probably get your head bitten off if you make a division/century division a pure bulleted list of "1000 incidents of goatse in the 5th century" (my idea and you can't have it); 901-1000 is close but not that bad, which I can say since I wrote it. Breaking up a bulleted list into decades works, especially with a quote or decade description in each decade to break things up. 1701-1800 is a purer article. For yet another style see Wikipedia which combines text with category lists, the cheaters.
The plan is also to use Timeline headers only, not footers. They do not belong on category pages.
Improving this page
Of course, you can always go and improve this page. Although right now it serves mostly as a status/how you can help page for the project (and isn't very funny), it will hopefully turn into something better as the project becomes more mature.
As of right now, the timeline skeleton is complete and runs from the beginning of time through the end of time but there are a lot of lost years and very few redirects. Right now we are trying to deal with all of the years from 1AD - 2006AD, after that, we'll reassess the situation.
So far, redirects, moves and inclusions have been mostly completed for: 1-1999. 2000-2002 all have a lot of information but it could always need improvement. 2003-2005 need help. 2006 needs some organization.
2018 comment. See Articles needed above.
In articles, some years have redlinks as a century article is planned on being written. Go ahead and redirect the redlink if it bothers you. Those redlinks have been reduced by tons at this time.
2019 comment. I'm just preaching to the choir (myself) at this point, but I'm leaving this as a record that you can laugh at when someone decides to fuck things up down the road.
Update by Nigel Scribbler: Uh, maybe look at the template at the top of the page?
We are closing the gaps as of April 2019. If you take on a decade or century article, remember to unhitch/unlink it from its category page and in the case of a decade, make sure all the individual years redirect to your new article. Feel free to not follow the format of other century/decade articles; there really is no standard at this point.
If you can't find the timeline header to change it, ask an admin (like me) to change it as it is not accessible to all.