Today's Featured Article - Roller derby
Roller derby is a contact sport played by two teams of five members, roller skating around a track. Roller derby is played by 1,250 amateur leagues, mostly in the United States, making it the most prominent pastime-claiming-to-be-a-sport except for four square and hedge-trimming.
Game play consists of a series of "jams" featuring a jammer, who wears a star on her helmet. A prior rule specifying that the jammer would wear a jar of jam on her helmet was reformed in 2011 to minimize broken glass on the rink, as well as hunger pangs during matches. Each jammer scores points by passing members of the opposing team, while the many other flabby women on the rink try to help their own jammer and hinder the other; in effect, playing both offense and defense by skating both forward and backward. Then a lot of lapping goes on, though this phase of the game was toned down in 2011 for suburban audiences.
The sport has its origins in the skating marathons of the 1930s, and the first roller derbies were contested in midwestern dust bowls. Leo Seltzer and Damon Runyon are credited with transforming this outrageous spectacle into a commercial outrageous spectacle. Unfortunately, theatrical elements overshadowed athleticism, and scripted bouts with predetermined winners abounded. In modern roller derby, however, theatrical elements and athleticism are overshadowed by player egos, ridiculous stage names, and the need to speechify about each star's sex change. (more...)
Have you ever wanted to
is fundamental to capitalism,add obviously computer-generated rays of sunlight to your trees for that extra touch of fakeness? With Photoshop, it's remarkably easy. Not only can you create sun rays in a photograph, but you can even add them in real life. This is a great way to make your yard more impressive or attract people to your park or real estate.
In this tutorial, you'll learn about the technique for creating these rays and how to apply it to real trees. (more...)
Did you know...
- ... that the Royal Pointless Military Things Tournament was founded by the Duke of York? (pictured)
- ... the US Postal Service delivered over 7.7 billion pieces of mail last year?
- ... and that unfortunately those started out as 5.2 billion packages and letters?
- ... that telling someone you masturbated to their Facebook picture is frowned upon in society?
- ... that in the dark, all cats are in the dark, too?
- ... that Alaska is a mooseocracy, in which citizens select a moose to lead them?
- ... that bears have been known to challenge for the role of Alaska's leader?
- ... that originally, Hell was an acronym for "Happiness, Euphoria, and Lively Laughter"?
- ... that the speed of light is inversely proportional to the intelligence of the person holding the stopwatch?
Uncyclopedia's sista projects
|Uncyclopedia is an independent humor writing project, a non-profitable cabal that also hosts a range of other projects.
|32,292 articles. Uncyclopedias are being written in many languages:
This Uncyclopedia, started in 2005, currently contains |
Protected by the Fair Use Clause, and an elite clan of Clinjas.